Six Steps to Holiday Fitness
Don’t let shopping and other holiday activities consume so much of your time that you put exercising on the back burner. Consider the following six steps to keep fit during the holidays!
- Try a bit of visualization. “Imagine yourself on January 1 and beyond after not getting exercise into your routine. How much heavier will you be? How much harder will you have to work to lose those pounds? Thinking of these consequences may be all the motivation you need to keep exercising.
- Break your usual exercise routine into a couple of small sessions throughout the day.
- Exercise in the morning. Get up earlier if you have to. This will get you more energized for all of the day’s activities.
- Choose the right exercise. Something that you enjoy doing.
- Ban all the “But I don’t have time: excuses. Work exercise in to your schedule no matter how hectic it is.
- Work out with a buddy or in a group. It has been proven that people who exercise with a friend or in a group are more successful at exercising consistently.
- Remember, when all of the holiday bustle is over, you will be glad you did!!
Healthy Energy Boosters
Powering through a long afternoon takes fuel. So have a nutrition-filled snack. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes these suggestions:
- Put together your own trail mix; add nuts, dried fruits, whole grain pretzels and a little low sugar cereal.
- Or cut up some veggies, and bring along some peanut butter or hummus for dipping.
- For some crunch, baked tortilla chips with salsa or whole grain crackers and low-fat cheese are options.
- Or if you’re really hungry, try a warmed up whole wheat tortilla wrap with a little low-sodium turkey, a slice of apple, and a little cheese.
- If you have a blender handy, a fruit smoothie whipped with some low fat yogurt is also a healthy choice.
- Don’t forget to wash it down with plenty of water, for healthy hydration.
- Remember: Keep the serving sizes small. All foods have calories and if we eat too much we may gain weight.